Vegan Grandma

Monday, September 25, 2006

Vegan Cashew "Cheese" Sauce


This recipe was on my old blog-still is, I guess (I had to change blogs because the name of my old blog was too close to someone else’s). I really like to make this! It’s from The Saucy Vegetarian, Quick and Healthful No-Cook Sauces and Dressings, by Joanne Stephaniak, published by Book Publishing Company, page 70. I love this book! All the recipes in it are easy, delicious, and vegan. This "cheese" sauce is very easy to make. I like to eat it on crackers or on steamed broccoli.

Vegan Cashew "Cheese" Sauce
Makes about ½ cup

You can use this sauce for vegan Alfredo noodles or vegan au gratin dishes.

1/4 cup raw cashews
1 ½ tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 ½ tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes (available at natural food stores)
2 teaspoons sweet white miso or 1/4 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon onion powder
1/4 cup water, more or less as needed (If I want the sauce to be thick enough to spread on crackers, I don’t use water, or very little.)

Grind the cashews to a powder in a dry blender. Add the remaining ingredients, using just enough water to make a thick but pourable sauce. Process until completely smooth.

6 Comments:

  • At 9:41 PM, Blogger Brian said…

    this is DELICIOUS. i used this for vegan mac 'n cheese andd it was absolutely perfect. coated the pasta perfectly, just the easiest and tastiest cashew cheese i've ever made. thank you!

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Blogger The Tone King said…

    This is really, really horrible. I don't believe I did anything wrong...I followed the recipe, but wow...it just does not taste good. Maybe OK for a decent cashew spread, but in the place of cheese? I don't think so.

     
  • At 8:48 PM, Blogger The Tone King said…

    I kept it in the refrigerator overnight, hoping it would taste better in the morning.

    AAAGH! IT TASTED WORSE!

    Who can eat this crap???

     
  • At 3:31 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Mr Tone King You are a Dumbass Why don't you take a raw nutrition course and educate yourself....I just made this SAUCE and tweaked it to my taste and then I tossed it together with some Kale and threw it in the dehydrator and made my own $7.00 bucks a bag Kale chips!

     
  • At 1:10 PM, Blogger Norman Burns said…

    Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean I am a dumbass, dumbass. Everybody has individual tastes. I don't care for this recpie, PERIOD. DEAL WITH IT!!!!

     
  • At 1:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    thanks for your honest review, @the tone king. i haven't tried it yet but i hate eating vegan. i have to for health.. nothing moral about it. and if you don't like it, why can't you say that? i never read that only people who love the recipe could post. i'll try it and let you know.

    calling someone names because you disagree with their opinion, actually makes YOU the dumbass, amy. just sayin'

     

Post a Comment

<< Home