Vegan Grandma

Thursday, September 21, 2006

More on Why I’m Vegan-The Life of a Tortoise


Not long ago, I saw a driver swerve, deliberately, to run over a tortoise who was crossing the road. He probably thought that the life of that tortoise was of no importance. I think the life of that tortoise was very important to the tortoise.

One sunny summer day I was walking in a park along a lake, thoroughly enjoying the sunshine. I saw several turtles sunning themselves on a rock. I think that they were enjoying the sunshine just as I was. How can we justify denying any creature their natural pleasures?

How can there be any justification for a factory farm system that inflicts so much suffering on animals, and denies them their natural pleasures for all of their lives? Why do we feel we have the right to do that? If God gave to us humans inalienable rights to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness", why not to all of His creatures?

Quote

"To my mind the life of a lamb is no less precious than that of a human being. I should be unwilling to take the life of a lamb for the sake of the human body. I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."-Mahatma Gandhi, An Autobiography, the Story of My Experiments

1 Comments:

  • At 11:01 PM, Blogger Allie B said…

    I cant stand people who deliberately try to harm animals. I honestly have no respect for those people.

    btw, thanks for the kind comment on my blog : )

     

Post a Comment

<< Home