Vegan Grandma

Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Optimal Diet-A Whole Foods Plant-Based Diet


".......losing body weight on a plant-based diet is much less likely to occur if the diet includes too many refined carbohydrates. Sweets, pastries, and pastas won’t do it. These foods are high in readily digested sugars and starches and , for the pastries, oftentimes very high in fat as well. .......these highly processed, unnatural foods are not part of a plant based diet that works to reduce body weight and promote health. This is one of the main reasons that I usually refer to the optimal diet as a whole foods, plant-based diet."

"Notice that a strict vegetarian diet is not necessarily the same thing as a whole foods, plant-based diet. Some people become vegetarian only to replace meat with dairy foods, added oils and refined carbohydrates, including pasta made with refined grains, sweets and pastries. I refer to these people as ‘junk food vegetarians’ because they are not consuming a nutritious diet."

The China Study, by T. Colin Campbell, Ph.D. and Thomas M. Campbell II, published by BenBella Books, Inc., page 140

1 Comments:

  • At 7:48 AM, Blogger Jackie said…

    I agree.

    Even though I am Vegan I have gone up one dress size since I retired last year. I know I must eat more wholefoods and cut out the bad carbo's I often eat or I will really have a problem.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home