Vegan Grandma

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Beet Caviar


I had lunch, today, with friends at Espresso Yourself, a wonderful little vegan-friendly café in Newport, Pennsylvania (about a half-hour drive north from Harrisburg. It was a beautiful, day for a ride along the river. It was warm and sunny, and the fall leaves were still on the trees. The food, as usual, was very good (I had a vegan Rachel. It’s like a Ruben, but it has coleslaw instead of saurkraut-all vegan, of course). It’s great to be alive!


I’ll be going to a vegan potluck tomorrow, so I’ve been cooking this evening. I made Orange Seitan (see my blog for September 26), and I made Beet Caviar. The Beet Caviar recipe is from The Best Recipes in The World, by Mark Bittman, published by Broadway Books, (page 32). There are a lot of vegan recipes in this non-vegetarian book.


Beet Caviar
makes about 6 servings


This is a brightly colored dish. You can serve it with bread or toast, or as a side dish to be eaten with a fork. It’s best made a day ahead, and left to marinate overnight.

4 fresh beets (about 1 ½ pounds), washed, roasted, and peeled

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Red pepper sauce to taste

Chopped fresh parsley leaves for garnish (optional)

Place the beets, oil, and lemon juice in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture is finely minced.
Season with tabasco, salt, and pepper.

Serve immediately or better, refrigerate for up to a day.

Garnish with parsley leaves, if you wish, just before serving.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:29 PM, Blogger urban vegan said…

    Since I'm Polish, anything with beets makes my heart sing.

    Love your blog! Thanks for stopping by mine.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home